A family-friendly showcase of invention, creativity and resourcefulness,
and a celebration of the Maker movement.
- Family-friendly means it's for people of ages. It's never to early to introduce problem-solving, and mechanical and artistic expression. And it's never too late to continue a craft or try new technologies. It's a place to go where everyone can participate.
- Showcase means it's available for all to see and do. Out of garages and spare bedrooms, work spaces and offices, and into lively displays and open demonstrations.
- Invention - If necessity is the mother of invention, invention is the parent of the Maker Faire. If it doesn't exist, someone will make it. Someone invented the Maker Faire!
- Creativity - The act of creating takes a word, a concept, an idea and makes it real, makes it happen, in a new and wonderful way. It's the spark and the fire that results. Maker Faires are filled with creative ideas that have been made into creations.
- Resourcefulness is both recognizing the abundance of resources we have - interesting materials, recycled and re-purposed objects, sustainable energy, experienced Makers - and using them in new, different, and creative ways. It's looking at our world in a Half-Full way and making things happen with what we've got at hand.
- Celebration - Well, everyone loves a party. Making is a contact sport that everyone can enjoy!
- Maker movement - See all of the above. It means being an active participant in one's own life and in the life of our communities.
The Mendocino County Mini Maker Faire is going to be about 3% of the size of the mother Maker Faire in San Mateo. But we'll have 100% of the creative and entrepreneurial spirit, because that always fills the space available.
Anyone else want to try to explain a Maker Faire?